Monday 30 September 2013

Thoughts of a Traveller



Thoughts of a Traveler


As I travel along this long road
I realize that am growing old
and I wonder who one day  my hand will hold
so that together we can make a home.
Could it be someone I know?

I stop and sit down
and my mind ponder on  the girls I know
from our hood to the ridges beyond
Could it be someone I know?

Starting from the rich man’s girl
who walks always head up high
may be searching for others like her
in the sky up there, among the stars
for she never speaks to any of us
members of the poor man’s clan
but with fate you never know
am prudent enough not to write her off
It could be her, only God knows


The poor man’s spawn
Tall, elegant and ebony
her voice a glorious melody
I long to see her day after day
in the fields as we graze
to be with her I always pray
my wish is to always hold her hand
For all I know.

But
wishes are not horses, nor beggars riders
 my wish to have her may be the horse I can’t have
other foxes may steal her away from me
because they have claws sharper than the cats teeth
I have to consider other choices far from these
maybe even to cross  land and see
To meet someone I have never known.

~Hinga  Mwonjoria

2 comments:

  1. So here is where you hide out? Good thing i found you...and this is an awesome piece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Velle, it is one of the pieces I enjoy most.

      Delete